Everyone loves these. Eat as a starter with wholemeal gluten-free bread or (if you eat a little gluten) fresh 100% rye sourdough bread to soak up the sweet juices. Last week we served them as a side with marinaded roast chicken pieces on a bed of cooked millet (with basil pesto and sliced spring onions stirred in). Yum!
I’m not usually an anchovy lover but here they really do make it much more delicious!
4 red peppers
4 medium tomatoes
8 small anchovy fillets
2 cloves garlic
8 dsp (dessertspoons) extra virgin olive oil
Fresh basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Cut peppers in half lengthways, remove seeds, keep green stalks intact, and lay in a lightly oiled roasting tin or ovenproof dish.
- Peel garlic, slice thinly and divide between the pepper halves.
- To each pepper, half add an anchovy that you snipped into rough pieces.
- Quarter tomatoes, remove the woody centre, and place 2 pieces in each pepper hal
- Spoon 1 dsp oil into each pepper half and season with freshly milled black pepper.
- Place on a high shelf in the oven for 50 mins to 1 hour – they should be wrinkled and semi-collapsed and filled with lots of lovely sweet garlicky pepper juices.
- Garnish with a few scattered basil leaves.